Monday, February 15, 2010

Pressure

I never thought that I would be consumed with the FCAT test, but lating I feel so anxious about the upcoming testing. I did not realize how much pressure is placed on teachers and schools! I was creating lesson plans, and I am constantly asking myself...'is this important for them to have for the FCAT?' I feel as though I am trying to teach the students, but we are discussing the different ways they are going to see it on 'the test.' When we gave them the practice test, our kids did not do as well as we hoped, but the main cause was the wording/stories. Our schools future is based on this test and the pressure is overwhelming. Teaching has changed tremendously since I was in elementary and it is not what I remember! I am just anxious for the test to be over with so I can teach :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica!
    I know exactly how you feel! I remember that feeling of pressure that you describe; in fact, it's one of the main reasons (second to the desire to be home full time with my kids) that I got out of the classroom to teach for FLVS. Intellectually I understand the "need" for testing, but it just doesn't mesh with everything I believe in about education.
    It’s funny that you describe yourself as “anxious” for the text to be over with because I bet that’s how so many of your kids feel as well!
    Just keep up with your best practices and you and your kiddos will do fine! Hang in there, though, I know the pressure and I know that it is no fun at all!
    - Darcey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the support! I can definitely see my kids feeling the pressure too! It is very stressful and I just can't wait for it to be over :)
    I think the FLVS is an AMAZING program. The focus on the students and the focus on the education is wonderful!
    Thank you again for the advice and I think that you are in the right place!

    ReplyDelete